Hey everyone! If you’re anything like me, you’ve been anxiously awaiting for Yellowstone’s newest season (premieres November 13th) to drop. The scenery and the cinematography are absolutely stunning; as a result, I can’t help but feel a twinge of envy toward the actors and crew members who get to work there on a daily basis. However, are you aware that YOU yourself could be a part of the show?
That’s right! The Yellowstone casting team is always on the lookout for extras. Whether you’re just looking for a fun day out or want to add some extra television experience to your resume, here’s everything you need to know about being an extra on this hit show.
What the Expectation of an Extra is
To begin, what exactly is meant by the term “extra”? Someone who simply appears in the background of a scene is referred to as an extra. They could be strolling down the sidewalk, lounging in a café, or even just milling about on the set.
Extras are not required to have any acting experience and do not need to memorize any lines because they do not have any speaking roles. It’s an introvert’s dream, if you ask me!
So how exactly does one go about getting cast in the role of an extra on Yellowstone? It’s not nearly as difficult as you might think! Simply go to their Yellowstone Extras Casting Facebook page. If you want to stay up to date with their most recent casting calls, it is highly recommended that you turn on notifications for that page.
From there, they will post information about what kinds of extras they are looking for as well as what scenes they are going to be filming. You can then submit yourself for those scenes via email for consideration in those scenes.
What Not to Expect as an Extra
Don’t expect to make much money, if ANY!
Keep in mind that most of the time, extras do not get paid unless they are featured extras, which happens very infrequently. This is something that is important for you to be aware of. In the case of featured extras, Yellowstone does pay its extras. Isn’t that some exciting news?! The amount of money they offer can vary a bit depending on what it is that they want.
How to Prepare to Be an Extra
There are a few things that extras can do to make their experience go more smoothly. When you arrive on set make sure you get there early and prepared to begin working.
Be ready to either stand or sit for extended periods of time, and pay attention to the directions given to you by the cast and crew. Also come prepared to do your own hair and makeup, and bring plenty of wardrobe options.
Now, here are a few recommendations for the ladies.
- Style your hair before going to set as it will help things go smoother for you. Have no fear if you are not skilled in that department, the incredibly talented Cat (@styledbycatdon) was the amazing hairstylist on set that saved the day from frizzy hair and not so cute messy buns!
- Bring compact makeup kits for touch-ups throughout the day
- Bring a pair of comfortable shoes that you can switch into during breaks.
- Have a small bag to the set with all of the essentials that you’ll require.
- If you have any particular dietary restrictions, make sure to pack for those restrictions and let the staff know about them.
- Give your vehicle a thorough cleaning before heading to the set. You never know when it will be put on display!
- Make sure you dress appropriately! You might be required by the wardrobe department to change clothes multiple times, either into one of the few outfits they asked you to bring with you or into one of the outfits they have prepared for you to wear. It is also recommended that you do not dress in an excessive number of layers because this will make you feel extremely uncomfortable and annoyed, but you should still bring a few things with you just in case the Montana weather decides to change on you.
Enjoy the Extra Experience
Most importantly, enjoy yourself to the fullest! Even though being an extra doesn’t come with much screen time or dialogue, it’s still a great way to get involved in the magic of television production because it allows you to see behind the scenes of how shows are made. This experience also is great for networking, but only if you are a Montana resident.
The question now is, what are you waiting for? Visit the Yellowstone Extras Casting Facebook page, and then be patient while you wait until the spring of 2023 for them to begin their search once more for Montana resident extras. Who knows, maybe the casting team of this amazing television show will see something in you and cast you as an extra immediately?! Be sure to check out Cat’s Claw Fasteners other blogs and stay tuned for future blogs on this topic and other great topics by clicking here.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.